Monday, December 8, 2008

Pressure Busts Pipes

This is an exciting time for the church to do great things. The country is sliding further and further down the road of economic uncertainty, we have wars on two continents and acts terrorism everywhere. Marriages, both Christian and secular are failing at over 50%. It is during times of extreme pressure that great things come forth.

One day I received a call from a frantic My Brothers Keeper employee that the sanctuary and the basement were flooding due to a busted pipe. If you are from up north you know that with a sudden change of weather it does not take long fore a pipe to rupture. Running to the facility I contacted a plumber who told me to find the shut off valve for that area of pipe, after much wading and wandering I was able to shut the water off to that portion of the facility. Two ideas gushed to the forefront after we were able to assess the situation.

The first was that many of use wish we could just turn off the problems of our life like I did the shut off valve. The problem with simply cutting the problem off is that you never deal with the reality of the situation. How did I get here? What did I do to bring this on? Is this due to sin in my life? If not, what is God trying to get out of me in this midst of the trials and tribulations? In the Message Bible the Word of God states “That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.” (Rom. 8:28) God plan eventually produces good in the life of those He loves.

Secondly, I was amazed at the size of the hole in the pipe once the plumber came to fix it. How could such a small break in the pipe cause so much water to come out of it? I learned that it was not the size of the leak that was the hindrance, although it plays a part, but the enormous amount of pressure from the water that created the havoc. I was told as a young boy that ‘pressure busts pipes’. Somehow we have to deal with the pressure if we are to stop the leak from destroying our character, our integrity, our Christian witness.

So you may ask how do we deal with the pressures of life when the leaks come (and they will come), call your plumber and let Him not only shut off the pressure, but fix the pipe so that His church brings forth great things in the midst of difficulty!!!

Blessings & Shalom
Pastor Patrick

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Pat Mac! Loving the blog. Keep doing what you're doing.c

Anonymous said...

I work with veterans that are homeless and bring them hope in any capacity is my greatest joy. thank you for your work. God bless