Thursday, December 11, 2008

Many Faces…





I grew up in Clarkston, MI in a comfortable house, on an acre of land surrounded by fields and woods, with happily married parents and a big brother. Clarkston, at the time, was predominately Caucasian, middle class families with a picket fence feel. I knew of a homeless guy. Those of you that have lived in Oakland County might remember him~Indian Joe. There were many rumors about Indian Joe. Many believed that he was actually a man from a wealthy family and had just lost his mind. People were not afraid of Joe; I think I remember hearing stories of my mom offering him a ride once. One homeless man, that's all I knew. When people mentioned "The City", I thought of Detroit and became scared. I thought of the Cass Corridor, drug dealers, gang-bangers, prostitutes, predators; the lepers of society. I am almost ashamed of my ignorance growing up. It wasn't until I was in my 20's that God opened my eyes and my heart to His people in need and that I began to find compassion and understanding.




You see, over the last year, I have seen so many different faces come through our building. Those that needed the honest help and those that didn't. We had a man come to us that had lost his place down south and moved north to be closer to family. He was in his late 70's early 80's. When we went through his belongings for check in, we found a large kitchen knife that he kept close for protection because he was so scared of the streets. There was a desperate man that called us because he could not find a place for him and his 12 year old troubled son. After I made many, many phone calls, I realized he was telling the truth….there was no place for them. We allowed them to stay in a secured room away from the general population so that they could concentrate on each other and their immediate future. We have had many severely disabled men; both physically and mentally, stay in our shelter. We have served countless veterans. Men that have served our country, have been to war and are now victims of their own thoughts and held down by the clutches of the streets. Sure, we have those stereotypical homeless men but don't be closed minded. Homelessness has many faces. There are far more men looking for hope and help than there are men just looking for a handout.




I am beginning to understand. I am beginning to understand God's vast love for people. I am beginning to understand unconditional love. I am beginning to understand what it means to be more like Jesus. And in this understanding….I realize I have so much more to learn.



No comments: